Портал  •  FAQ  •  Поиск  •  Личные настройки  •  Группы  •  Регистрация  •  Профиль  •  Войти и проверить личные сообщения  •  Вход
Календарь 
Следующая тема
Предыдущая тема

Начать новую темуОтветить на тему Предыдущая темаEmail другу.Список пользователей, просмотревших темуСохранить тему как файлPrintable versionВойти и проверить личные сообщенияСледующая тема
Автор Сообщение
Anton
Гость

СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-13, 02:37  Заголовок сообщения:  What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Hi everyone—

I thought this forum was supposed to be used for practicing our foreign language skills, and what do I see?—Russian, Russian, Russian all over the place… Come on, guys, loosen up! You hope to be English/German/etc. teachers some day, or do you?... Anyway, I am sitting here at this lovely resort town of Sochi doing nothing much at the moment, and all of a sudden – as fate would have it—I find myself engrossed in the new NGPU web pages… How interesting…

Oh yes, I once used to grace the corridors of that glorious establishment, and some instructors’ names still evoke warm memories. So, how is life treating you over there, or rather, how are you treating life? What is it like being a student of NGPU these days? And what do you plan to do with your life once you have completed your education? Surely, I don’t expect all of you will rush to fill numerous vacancies at schools… Alas, this country hasn’t awakened yet to its grim demographic reality, and the pathetic level of livelihood that teachers continue to eke out is proof of that.

So, guys, let’s practice some English skills here, shall we?

Anton

“Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.” – Albert Einstein

Макс
Ментор форума

russia.gif
СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-24, 12:06  Заголовок сообщения:  What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

What does our future hold for us?! To some extent, as I see it, you might be hi-riding yours as of now ("...sitting here at this lovely resort town of Sochi.."). or...you're jus showing off, huh ? You're kinda random in here at all. BTW, what you mean by "I once used..." - he-he?! Semantically saying, it's word-crap.
and one more thing, the light is no longer with Russian realm, that's for sure.

Близнецы Пол:Мужской Обезьяна ОтключеныЛичная галерея МаксПросмотреть профильОтправить личное сообщениеОтправить e-mailНомер ICQ
Гость

СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-24, 23:55  Заголовок сообщения:  Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Thanks, pal; I stand corrected – obviously, I didn’t read my own post closely enough. But that’s, basically, what this thread is all about – practice, practice, practice…

So how is it going – is the future thing looking good? I wish I were hi-riding anything at all at the moment. Life isn’t bad in general, so I shouldn’t complain, but one always wants something better…

Thanks again. Hopefully, others will join in and practice their writing skills.

Good luck.

Anton

Ksyu
Эксперт
Эксперт

germany.gif
СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-25, 00:13  Заголовок сообщения:  Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

And what about practicing German writing skills? Or Italian?..

Everything is possible. Impossible just takes longer...

Пол:Женский  ОтключеныЛичная галерея KsyuПросмотреть профильОтправить личное сообщениеОтправить e-mailYahoo MessengerНомер ICQ
Anton
Гость

СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-25, 02:14  Заголовок сообщения:  Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Ksyu писал(а):
And what about practicing German writing skills? Or Italian?..
Sure, Ksyu, go right ahead - just start a new thread in German or Italian. Smile Here's this forum's description "English & Deutsch, etc.--This forum is the right place to discuss different topics in foreign languages. To practice your skills and knowledge. To meet a foreign friend!"

Anton

“Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.” – Albert Einstein

Anton R
Новичок нашего форума
Новичок нашего форума

blank.gif
СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-25, 02:50  Заголовок сообщения:  : Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Back to the subject of the "grim reality" -- I've just come across this refreshing quote:
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." ~Dr. Theodore Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss

What do you think?

Anton

ОтключеныЛичная галерея Anton RПросмотреть профильОтправить личное сообщениеОтправить e-mail
Артём
Нудный гундос форума

russia.gif
СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-25, 23:37  Заголовок сообщения:  : Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Hi, guys! Could you tell me what it means "hi-riding"?
P.S. to practiSe

(Китайская пословица)

Пол:Мужской  ОтключеныЛичная галерея АртёмПросмотреть профильОтправить личное сообщениеОтправить e-mailНомер ICQ
Anton R
Новичок нашего форума
Новичок нашего форума

blank.gif
СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-26, 23:04  Заголовок сообщения:  : : Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Hi, Artyom,

Personally, I wouldn’t have used “hi-riding” in that context. I just decided to play along and maintain a conversation, being a nice guy that I am. “Hi-riding” or “hi-ride” in that sense are very rarely used and are limited to certain subcultures. Basically, the meaning is the same as that of “to ride high” and its derivatives, although I once came across a rather obscene instance of usage.

Practice vs. Practise.
In many parts of the English-speaking world (UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, and South Africa) “practice” is the noun, “practise” the verb. However, in the US the spelling “practice” is increasingly used for both the noun and the verb. If you are not sure about what a verb or noun is, it might be safer to just use the spelling "practice", as many Americans do! Contrary to popular belief a significant minority of English-speaking population of the world also observe the distinction.

ОтключеныЛичная галерея Anton RПросмотреть профильОтправить личное сообщениеОтправить e-mail
Anton R
Новичок нашего форума
Новичок нашего форума

blank.gif
СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-11-28, 03:30  Заголовок сообщения:  : : Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Actually, Artyom, that's the way you spelled it -- to practiCe -- now you know why Wink. I just pasted your own description:

"This forum is the right place to discuss different topics in foreign languages. To practice your skills and knowledge. To meet a foreign friend!"

Гость

СообщениеДобавлено: 2005-12-07, 12:53  Заголовок сообщения:  : : Re: What does the future hold for us? Ответить с цитатойЦентр страницыВернуться к началу

Yeah, buddy, right, straight there! Play along or better play your way off. You look too smart and every once in awhile TRYING to do so you you seem to beat around the bush, but hairy, dead alive and smelling bad. No, no ! No insult intended by my word. Just figuratively speaking and how it goes on a perceptive level, I beat that, I really do. It is so! IT's so obvious in your written stuff. Make sure, next time you write, doncha subtilize your thoughts too much.
and ten times over again! - you're wrong on that term! - you KEEP UP my literary flow. Or I do yours!? Whatever. 'maintain' I think is out of the group in here. One more thing- I don't dig deep in for comments so...

Начать новую темуОтветить на тему Предыдущая темаEmail другу.Список пользователей, просмотревших темуСохранить тему как файлPrintable versionВойти и проверить личные сообщенияСледующая тема

Следующая тема
Предыдущая тема